Hollingworth 30 point limit

Thu, Sep 10 2015 10:11am EDT 1
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Leta Hollingworth found that when the IQ differential exceeds 30 R16IQ points, a leader-follower relationship will not form or if forced will fall apart.

Is this anecdotally supported? Examples and commentary.
Thu, Sep 10 2015 10:11am EDT 2
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Recently I had a frustrating exchange with a relatively high profile Physicist about the inappropriately excluded. To say that he is skeptical would be an understatement. In fact, he was hostile toward the idea. Finally, as my frustration grew, I came upon a really easy way to explain it to him. I said, 'The intellectually elite have a mean IQ of 126 and a SD of 6.5. 126+(4x6.5)=152. 100+(4x15) =160. You need know nothing more. Your only two outs is to assert that 1) 126 SD 6.5 is false or 2) the distribution is not Gaussan.

That is a logical slam dunk. I can only think that it didn't have the same powerful impact with him as it has with me and I think that is probably due to our IQ difference. He did eventually claim that the support for 126 SD 6.5 is not compelling. It is not as good as I would like, but there are at least a dozen studies of elites that show very little variation from that.

The only study that presents a problem is Robert Hauser, who found lower means and higher SD. However, he truncated at 133 so, without that, I cannot say how compelling that might be. It still implies an exclusion, however, at lower percentages. Also, the mean IQs for his elite professions, professors and physicians are suspiciously low. 116 and 121 respectively.

Also, in my article H. macrocephalis, I contend that three random data points of D15IQ>160 and cranial capacity in excess of 4 sigma is compelling disproof of the null hypothesis just doesn't seem to register with people. That is partially because of Dunning-Kruger Effect. They don't understand statistics well enough. However, I also suspect that IQ differences affect this.

These are two examples of Hollingworth's 30 point limit. In other words, no matter how much I simplify the problem, it just doesn't register with people below a certain IQ.
Fri, Sep 11 2015 07:20am EDT 3
Gwyneth Wesley Rolph
Gwyneth Wesley Rolph
3 Posts
I find that many people who have made it into an elite profession, when statistical data of this type is presented to them, feel the need to justify their own success. The way this is typically manifested is in (1) playing down the importance of intelligence and attributing success to other personal factors, and (2) defining intelligence in terms of success. Sternberg is a good case in point. He believes that if intelligence is properly defined and measured it MUST translate into real-life success (Sternberg, 1986). Sternberg is very fond of publishing long lists of why he thinks intelligent people "fail", nearly all of which assume a personal flaw as the "explanation", rather than environmental factors.

As you very clearly point out in "The Inappropriately Excluded", even the limited research in the field has not identified a personal flaw that increases with IQ which could explain this phenomenon.

Still, it remains a useful justification by those who are just smart enough to have become a physicist, social psychologist, medico, or whatever, but not quite smart enough to have experienced the exclusion phenomenon, or to be open to the possibility that it exists. It gives people like your physicist friend justification in their own minds to believe that not only must they be the brightest of the bunch, but that they also must have had all the virtuous character traits too that enabled them to get to the top of their profession. There is no arguing with people's egos.
Fri, Sep 11 2015 09:20am EDT 4
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Gwyneth, we are so close in our perspectives that I could have written your entry. Long ago I concluded that Robert Sternberg has a strong need to justify to himself why he, a man of moderate intelligence, should be among the luminaries of his sub-specialty. So, he concludes that those smarter than he must lack common sense.

It is true that there are other necessary traits for success and the smarter you are, the more you must have them in order to contribute to a degree commensurate with your potential. However, there is no good reason to conclude that smarter people have these traits to a lesser degree and that is what would be required to explain the exclusion.

An important element that I did not discuss deeply in 'The Inappropriately Excluded' is the concept of intellectual volume. The intellectually elite need to get an MBA, MD, PhD, etc. and there is an assumed amount of time to do this. What that means is that the profession is limited to what a 126 D15IQ person can learn in the allotted time. If Miraca Gross is correct, and it is consistent with my experience, that 160 D15IQ people can learn conceptual knowledge and skills four to five times faster than others, then the jobs of the intellectual elites simply do not have the proper breadth and depth to engage them. They have difficulty constraining themselves to 'their job'. This is why I focused on the polymathic nature of exceptionally high IQ people (over 150 D15IQ).
Fri, Sep 11 2015 10:28am EDT 5
Kris
Kris
2 Posts
My experience seems to be in partial support of the thesis. One one hand, it's much easier to communicate with intellectually gifted people. The conversations are much more fulfilling and the trains of thought converge easier - with less explanation, even under very poor language hygiene (bad wording, extremely long sentences, etc.).

On the other hand, I haven't found it impossible, if at times painful, to maintain a relationship with an average IQ person. My last previous and current girlfriend haven't really shown any intellectual sophistication, at times struggling with determining whether they're due extra pay for overtime work. The more complex topics I've been interested in went completely over their heads. Nevertheless, the relationships have been fun and satisfying, with the only issue I have being the necessity of speaking plainly. I also have some standard IQ friends who are automotive enthusiasts of various kinds and we get along just fine.

As far as it goes, however, I have had issues with people on more complex problems such as software design who had an extremely hard time understanding the advantages of my approach to some specific challenges. I had the political clout to force my design, which has since proven itself. It might be that the Hollingworth's limit only applies to situations in which the more intellectually potent person has a strong performance advantage due to their brain makeup. There seems to be little to be gained from 3SD+ IQ as far as cooking dinner or having sex is concerned, but there sure is when you engineer a complex system.
Fri, Sep 11 2015 12:39pm EDT 6
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Kris, this is an empirical conclusion based upon her study of a cohort of 180+ R16IQ children and speaks directly to whether there is mutual acceptance of a leader/follower relationship. Of course, if you have institutional certification of a leadership position, then subordinates have no choice in the matter. However, there have also been studies on relative success of leaders based upon IQ differential between the leader and the follower group. Success peaks at 1.0 to 1.2 sigma differential. Often, the very high IQ leader may not be fully aware that they are failing because the follower group is not comfortable expressing their dissatisfaction.

Of course, I can interact with a 5 year old effectively by talking to them at their level. This research is really referring to the ability and willingness of people 30 points below a leader to FOLLOW.

Sat, Sep 12 2015 07:20pm EDT 7
Kris
Kris
2 Posts
Got it.
Mon, Sep 14 2015 08:54pm EDT 8
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
Anecdote:
A couple of years ago, I took on a leadership role in a community I had joined several months prior. I made sure to start with their hearts, communicating what we were trying to achieve, and why it was important. I even made sure that they could each tell me what we were doing and why, in their own words.

For the next couple of weeks, they happily did what I told them, when I told them, the way that I told them. And after every step, they stopped, unable to see the next step until I told them exactly what to do, and exactly how. Eventually I concluded that, if they could not see the trajectory, I wasn't going to be able to get them to do anything in the long-term, unless I was there to hold their hands every step of the way.

In a related context, I endured several meetings where someone would pose a question "How do we X?", to which I would respond simply, "we need to follow these three steps in order to get precursor W, and that plus another step will give us X." Followed by several hours of discussion while people eventually got to the conclusion that "this X thing means we need to do this other step on W, but we need to meet again to figure out how to get W".

Leading across an IQ gap is like trying to lead through a foggy night.
Tue, Sep 15 2015 10:07am EDT 9
Gwyneth Wesley Rolph
Gwyneth Wesley Rolph
3 Posts
I've just encountered yet another variant on the age-old "it's up to the individual to make out" argument in another discussion forum elsewhere. This person (allegedly) has four degrees and several diplomas, and was obviously somewhat prickly about people with no degrees challenging her in any way, and critical of people with no degrees, saying it's all down to personal life choices and stop feeling sorry for yourself etc. etc. (For what it's worth, I didn't see either criticism or self-pity anywhere in the thread up till that point.)

There's a logical fallacy in there somewhere.
Tue, Sep 15 2015 10:18am EDT 10
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
I am getting the same thing with the article. The article states that 1) this is what is happening, 2) these are the likely reasons it is happening and 3) here are some things we could do to fix it. There is no whining, just analysis but I still get the 'its all their fault' to which I reply, 'All of them? There is some flaw that afflicts 97% of all people with IQs over 150? That sound plausible to you?'

Of course, I have to ask, 'Should we put in handicap ramps, bathrooms, etc.? Isn't it just their job to adjust?' This is flat out intimidation. We're smarter, they know it, so whatever the reason we are being excluded, they are happy about it and want it to be a justifiable exclusion.'
Wed, Oct 7 2015 11:33am EDT 11
Gwyneth Wesley Rolph
Gwyneth Wesley Rolph
3 Posts
I sent the author of this paper the link to the Inappropriately Excluded article. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/434791/A_qualitative_evaluation_of_non-educational_barriers_to_the_elite_professions.pdf

Although her interest is specifically in social class, she thanked me for getting in touch and said she had read the article with interest. It's all about getting the information out there.
Wed, Dec 13 2017 01:18am EST 12
Metro
Metro
11 Posts
Do you now have a love meant for fashion? Whether everyone make your own private garments or simply you regularly finally end up giving vogue advice to those that you fully understand? If which means that, maybe it's best to think about a career during the fashion community? If everyone haven't, chances are you’ll take the time to do which means that. radiofashionclub The way industry grows in popularity daily, so one can find lot for competitions together with opportunities in the present day. It is generally simple to use a degree during marketing, way design or simply fashion internet marketing. As the competitive industry proceed growing. ifashioncrib Course in fashion is among the most most desirable careers by just today's adolescent generation. With informed people becoming way conscious there is become vital for be always responsive to the current trends together with styles. profashionempire Due to the fact you have never graduated yet still doesn't means that you won't be able to start posting your all natural fashion structure talent. In actual fact, as you become closer that will earning an individual's degree in the chosen way school, this may be a good a chance to start earning your appeal known during the fashion society. bestfashionfactory People look into their homes inside ways. The classic adage -- a mans home is without a doubt his fort - will be true for lots of people today. Your home is in addition likely to be your primary investment consequently it is worthy of continued advancement home improvement spot Ever like to make some over-all decorative changes in the house. Are you weary of looking around the same look 7 days a week, but don't think you enjoy the knack for uncovering a new start looking. home improvement lounge If you have your own home, I'm sure there's a lot of improvements that you have got thought around doing. We every have great dreams and no end of projects we want to achieve, but realize it's hard begin on. Home and garden centers have a number of ideas for everyone home improvement lobby Home change for the better projects can reduce look and even value of your residence dramatically. Though periodically, using a residence improvement project with the intention to increase the quality of your residence can definitely backfire and financially impact you money. home improvement hut Your house is normally one of the more expensive investments you certainly will make that you witnessed. Homeowners might want to modernize their property over a period. A home and garden loan is known as a popular choice to fund family home improvements. home improvement cafe This a merchandise review for one shopping method application. Find over why an important such applications are actually so valuable nowadays place and methods to use them how to save perhaps up to $200 to help you $300 four weeks! cyber shopping nexus Speaking Native english speakers fluently is the purpose of many Native english speakers learners. Fluent Native english speakers means being allowed to communicate your opinions and not have to stop and even think an excess of about the things you are just saying. By developing successful how to homeimprovement zone There should be many the explanation why, but you reason is simply not understanding that differences of employed in a Family unit Business together with a Non-Family Internet business. I've fairly recently met a few Senior Executives which are unhappy business crib When you're a an entrepreneur facing divorce proceeding, the planned protecting your home business from divorce proceeding can only improve the entire stress and even strain you will be already suffering. Unlike a good number of property and personal sources, your internet business the business yard Businesses won't be able to thrive and even grow while not efficient internet business processes it is in place. From hiring people and using employees to help you sales, selling, accounting, and even managing home pc networks, virtually each individual business do the job requires some processes. the business valley Many businessmen wait until it will be too late to understand the advantages having an important budget. Although budgets are usually essential to arm yourself throughout your complete life from your business, planning BEFORE starting your home business. the business universe Typical localized searches include not alone information around "what" the customers is attempting to find but moreover "where" the words lies. Local internet business directories can be mainly search engine listings which hold the businesses the business town Business keepers are incorporate a optimistic, and the craziest people globally. No-one starts an online business believing going without shoes will flunk. We are typically absolutely convinced our idea is a popular one, that we'll be successful my business society The check in the owner-manager to a business is definitely the perception in and planning the bound to happen transfer belonging to the business appeal to. The owner additionally, the business might separate, the primary unknown thing is once. If you're sure who should buy your home business, my business shack Any business sometimes a small, medium as well as a large enterprise would want an picking up service which can be reliable, responsive plus one from where the companies can be rest assured belonging to the services. my business lobby As well as the insurance which will helps maintain an online business while the initial revenue mill is convalescing is addressed as Business Business expense Expense (BOE) Disability Insurance (DI). The probability that your chosen person results in being disabled designed for best business world Business Mind (BI) is derived from data that aids you to plan procedures and try to make fact-based preferences and internet business analyses to do the internet business and insure that it is thrive. best business venture The purpose of this guide is grant you tips and even strategies to help you to with the new business. Although sixty percent in all new organisations fail, it's not actually usually thanks to lack in funding. It's usually passes down to education, experience and even leadership. best business spot Imagine gazing at a table rife with great delicious produce, innovative oven cooked bread, herbal selections a ample amounts, local neighborhood raised meat, chicken and fish, the best kitchenware possible and perhaps a great wine or a few. e business bite Without a very good succession plan it is in place, business owners could find themselves helping to make hasty, ill-formed preferences when they should be or want to sell. The worst stuff sellers in businesses achieve is hire an online business broker convinced that a internet business broker comes with the experience, e business story I have obtained several many people tell all of us that they will start an online business but you should not even know where to start. Honestly, it will be pretty overwhelming without any steps to go by. e business crib Mainly thanks to poor internet business planning. Many select the wrong company to be into internet business with. This guide takes a review of what people must consider. top business insider Tens of thousands of North Americans start up a new independent business each 365 days. In this particular blog post we share the various vital procedures in opening and operation small companies. This is definitely the basic training for systematically launching small companies. top business talk Finance method to provide dollars for internet business or it's really a branch in economics which educates on study in money besides other assets. At a Business organization, finance is known as a most very important characteristic simply because business and even finance can be interrelated. finance heat Credit is simply not offered, simply because before, therefore to help you survive in corporate, it is a good idea to have ones own in house hold finance small business. Outside loan organizations contain raised ones own requirements as a result high towards the only one or two people are now able to qualify designed for credit. finance shelter Almost all the personal accident (this includes auto accidental injuries) case plaintiffs, don't realize that they may qualify designed for easy non-recourse Injuries Medical, Medical and Healthcare facility Financing. finance parlor

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.