what types of content do we want members to be able to include?

Tue, Sep 1 2015 03:51pm EDT 1
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
discussion of media, content and standards
Tue, Sep 1 2015 10:56pm EDT 2
Rodrigo
Rodrigo
8 Posts
ood question.

I'm thinking that would be good to set up some guidelines.
Tue, Sep 1 2015 10:58pm EDT 3
Rodrigo
Rodrigo
8 Posts
Well, an "edit post" tool would be great. I can't find it.
Wed, Sep 2 2015 09:48am EDT 4
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
I think that we want people to post whatever they want, within reason, to their personal blog which has distribution only to their friend's list. They can submit a blog post to the magazine and then the magazine editor will make a determination as to whether it meets editorial policy. If accepted, then the blog post becomes available to all members. At least this is how I read the functionality.

Wed, Sep 2 2015 01:42pm EDT 5
Kiardavis
Kiardavis
1 Posts
It depends on what you want the purpose of the site to be, but I see several potential useful buckets:
  • Interesting content (knowledge that educates everyone)
  • Primary and secondary academic and industry research, for peer review and public comment
  • Questionable assertions, ie published articles reviewing studies where the conclusions are suspect, incomplete, or incorrect
  • Calls to collaboration, or challenge questions, ie 'how can practical solutions from leading academic minds be fashioned to tackle global poverty?'
  • Cross-functional and interdisciplinary questions and theories, e.g. biology + economics (evolutionary economics), healthcare + mathmatics, quantum physics + internet startups, medical diagnostics + social psychology
  • Debates and theories that Pm members develop and put forward to the group to consider, debate, and workshop (e.g. my blog on new models of evolutionary theory)
  • Alternative theories to commonly-held beliefs and cultural assumptions
  • Response pieces to political or social events (e.g European refugee crisis, US education funding crisis)

Wed, Sep 2 2015 01:50pm EDT 6
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Leif's question is a bit vague. Include where? We have personal blogs, a magazine, an RSS feed, groups, a forum and we will likely have others. They each have their place and everything that Kia suggests probably has a place somewhere on the site.
Wed, Sep 2 2015 01:52pm EDT 7
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
We will probably want a peer reviewed tab called Polymathic Journal for that kind of polymathic work. We may also want a forum for 'Not Yet Ready for Peer Review' where Polymathicans can muse and speculate.
Mon, Oct 5 2015 03:31pm EDT 8
Shekerev
Shekerev
2 Posts
What do you think about various discussion boards on topics such as Macroecon, Medicine, Marketing... It strucks me as very useful to have something like this when learning a new subject and not just have lecture videos and textbooks.

Wed, Oct 7 2015 08:28am EDT 9
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
=)
Wed, Oct 7 2015 08:43am EDT 10
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Ivan, I have sent several messages on this topics that seem to be lost in the shuffle or the indifference of the group is beyond any sense. I do want to control the prolliferation of groups, hopefully consolidating groups with essentially the same purpose. This is one of the problems with Facebook. There are literally hundreds of groups for high IQ people and the result is that this population remains hopelessly fragmented.

As to learning oriente groups, yes, I encouraged you to start the one for Macroeconomics. In my opinion, the gap between needed proficiency and current proficiency is greatest in this subject. And, unfortunately, for some reason, people seem to think that Econ is intuitive. It is actually one of the most counter intuitive subjects.
Mon, Oct 12 2015 01:03pm EDT 11
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
Maybe it's not a technical problem. Maybe it's a community problem.

Many if not most/all of us are outsiders yes?
We're not used to be in a community. And we still aren't here either.
From what I've seen people are mostly off (maybe) doing things on their own. Nobody (!) seems to be even communicating, even less teaming up.

Regrettably I think it's pretty easy to read the IE article and think:
Aha! I knew it, that's why everybody has been treating me so badly. Points to me.
And then feel good about oneself and go on not doing anything.

And why not? Really?
Many people 0ver age 35-40 have already figured something out. Maybe it's working three part-time jobs and improving the rocket equation in the evenings. That would probably sound like a pretty sweet deal to some people.
And perhaps younger people just don't feel the need yet.

So it becomes a catch 22.
Older people have the experience of consistently being shut out but are too old (and bitter) to change.
Younger people aren't "bitter enough" to change.

So they make the easy choice and stay on facebook to connect with friends. Logical really.

Mon, Nov 30 2015 10:14am EST 12
Rodrigo
Rodrigo
8 Posts
Maybe it's not a technical problem. Maybe it's a community problem.

Many if not most/all of us are outsiders yes?
We're not used to be in a community. And we still aren't here either.
From what I've seen people are mostly off (maybe) doing things on their own. Nobody (!) seems to be even communicating, even less teaming up.

Regrettably I think it's pretty easy to read the IE article and think:
Aha! I knew it, that's why everybody has been treating me so badly. Points to me.
And then feel good about oneself and go on not doing anything.

And why not? Really?
Many people 0ver age 35-40 have already figured something out. Maybe it's working three part-time jobs and improving the rocket equation in the evenings. That would probably sound like a pretty sweet deal to some people.
And perhaps younger people just don't feel the need yet.

So it becomes a catch 22.
Older people have the experience of consistently being shut out but are too old (and bitter) to change.
Younger people aren't "bitter enough" to change.

So they make the easy choice and stay on facebook to connect with friends. Logical really.

Yes, Filip. This is something we need to work out.

We definitely need a starting point, draw a direction and follow it step by step.

As I've said before, I find Zach T.'s article on education very good and very well crafted. Michael's articles are amazing and some of them are ahead of their time. Maybe we can start by getting attention from people outside our community to read them and join us here, so we can cook new ideas. What do you think?

Best Regards.

Wed, Dec 2 2015 02:43pm EST 13
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
Ah a comment! = D Thank you Rodrigo!

If I might ask, is this discussion also on facebook?
I think it should be of course. What is your opinion?

Michael, what are the stats for this page right now, and how are they compared to the last 3 months?

I'm all for getting people from outside in. How do you propose to do that Rodrigo?
Tue, Dec 8 2015 12:34pm EST 14
Rodrigo
Rodrigo
8 Posts
Hi Filip!

I was talking to Adam about a hangout or something with he same approach. Unfortunately, I've had a setback this week (internet problems with GVT) but it will be fixed.

I'm also contacting forum admins in order to allow me to post Michael's articles there (well, I need to try to write down my own). The reason I'm doing this is because some forums have the policy of banning members for posting articles they perceive as spam (?) or self-promotion (??), it's ridiculous that some of them don't even read the articles before making judgements. I was banned from five forums already. Frown. But: no retreat, no surrender.

Cheers.
Tue, Dec 8 2015 02:05pm EST 15
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Oddly, we don't get stats with this platform. It lacks many things. But we need to start somewhere.

Tue, Dec 8 2015 05:46pm EST 16
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
I think a hangout is a great idea. I hope I'll be able to attend when it happens. =)
Tue, Dec 8 2015 05:47pm EST 17
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
Yes Michael, and as you have said yourself, this will be a marathon. I'm glad to see that more and more people want to be in it for the long run. I cincerely hope it stays that way.
Sat, Dec 24 2016 11:28am EST 18
Archibald
Archibald
2 Posts
This was a very odd question, I have to say. I was not expecting a question like this from best essay reviews blog of the year. But, I can understand why this question was asked and I hope that people will get the answer.
Thu, Dec 29 2016 12:32am EST 19
shuaibi
shuaibi
3 Posts
As one of the biggest Runescape Gold online provider, we mainly offer rs gamers RS Money at amazingly cheap prices!

During many years of trading Cheap RS Gold, we have accumulated so many relevant inner-industry experience and garnered a great reputation among those who would like to Buy RS Gold .

So we are surely your best choice to Buy Cheap RS Money online! Plus, fast delivery is offered on every RS Gold order!

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.