look and feel

Tue, Sep 1 2015 03:39pm EDT 1
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
First impressions of look and feel
I'll be starting each line with +/-/? to mark whethere I like, dislike, or just want to discuss particular points
Tue, Sep 1 2015 03:44pm EDT 2
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
+theme appears to be mobile-responsive
-there's too much going on in the layout
-I'm also not a big fan of the paint-drip theme
Tue, Sep 1 2015 03:52pm EDT 3
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
-navigating the forums feels slow and awkward.
?can this be improved?
?how?
Tue, Sep 1 2015 03:53pm EDT 4
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
?I see ways to delete posts as a moderator, but I'm still not seeing how I can delete a post as myself.
Tue, Sep 1 2015 03:57pm EDT 5
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
?I also see that moderator-deleted posts seem to be retained.
Tue, Sep 1 2015 03:59pm EDT 6
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
-I see no way to invite anyone into a conversation
Tue, Sep 1 2015 04:00pm EDT 7
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
+Forum does not require the awkward shift+return key combo to avoid premature posting a la facebook
Wed, Sep 2 2015 12:04pm EDT 8
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
-no edit post tool?
Wed, Sep 2 2015 01:56pm EDT 9
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
The paint drip theme was just in the upper left hand corner. There are lots of choices, but I really thought that Filip or someone with more graphics talent and experience should make the choice.
Wed, Sep 2 2015 02:12pm EDT 10
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
I changed the theme to something very basic. This is something that can be done like this for free or can be done professionally for a fee. The latter will undoubtedly be where we end up and it sounds like you want to be on that committee.
Wed, Sep 2 2015 04:50pm EDT 11
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
Michael,
My eyeballs thank you. (Nit-picky means I care.)
Thu, Sep 3 2015 03:10pm EDT 12
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
I really want Filip to weigh in on this. The largest sites Facebook, Google, Amazon, tend to be uncomplicated so perhaps that is the proper design to emulate. However, within that, I appear to have significant lattitude for fonts, font size, color, etc. I just don't trust my judgment on it.

Thu, Sep 3 2015 04:19pm EDT 13
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
These may be more like eventual functionality requests:
1) URL masking (I know, it's coming)
2) a specific sub-mask for polymathica.com/blogs
3) the ability to browse blogs by author & tag, e.g. polymathica.com/blogs/leif would give all my blog articles, while polymathica.com/blogs/science would give an index of all articles tagged "science"
4) RSS feeds for any arbitrary tag (or combination of tags!)
5) "related articles" functionality on blogs, or at least a tag cloud browser widget
Thu, Sep 3 2015 05:08pm EDT 14
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
?I don't see an obvious way to track page-views on a per-blog basis, for author payment. This may be the among the privs Michael has, but hasn't seen a way to share, yet.
Sat, Sep 5 2015 07:05pm EDT 15
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
Hi! I have finally found this and read it!
I second Leif's "too much going on in the layout." I don't know exactly what you referred to, but since I've been a member now for a while and this hasn't turned up on any notification for me, (while other stuff has!).
Also, I'm not getting alerted when my name is mentioned, at least facebook has that. And slack, when using the @-sign.

Hmm, seems like one can follow this conversation by email notification though, well that is good. I'll go ahead and do that and see how it works.
Sat, Sep 5 2015 07:06pm EDT 16
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
Also, I just posted a longish mail on design to Leif. I can't see it now, but maybe it should also be posted here?
Sat, Sep 5 2015 07:07pm EDT 17
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
Michael, have you figured out how to give us access to the layout interface? It's easy for me to dream up ideas but I have to know our "canvas" and the limiting factors.
Sun, Sep 6 2015 08:17am EDT 18
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
Okay, so for Leif and my conversation it seems to boil down to this:

1 - we'll have to evaluate this sites flexibility for design once we can access the code or interface.

2 - once that is done we'll need a programmer/ coder on the team.

3 - after that I can start working with this group, Leif, Michael and the programmer, to make graphic profiling for polymathica including the polymath but also much more.
Sun, Sep 6 2015 08:25am EDT 19
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Leif, on your home page, in the upper left hand corner do you have 'launch admin'?

Mon, Sep 7 2015 08:56pm EDT 20
Leif
Leif
25 Posts
I do not currently see that option.
Mon, Sep 7 2015 09:00pm EDT 21
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
OK. Then I will need to ask.

Wed, Sep 9 2015 06:14pm EDT 22
Filip
Filip
16 Posts
Have you heard anything from support yet?
Michael, are you the only admin at the moment?

One solution would be to change Michael's account into an admin accout that we all share and then Michael can get a personal account as well.
Thu, Sep 10 2015 07:54am EDT 23
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Leif, what happens when you go here? https://my.network-maker.com/296959/home

Thu, Sep 10 2015 07:57am EDT 24
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
Leif, "I don't see an obvious way to track page-views on a per-blog basis, for author payment. This may be the among the privs Michael has, but hasn't seen a way to share, yet"

No, this would be a custom add, I think. Remember, at the $99 per month level we have access to our code and we can modify as we want. This will be a lot faser and cheaper than starting from zero. But we still are going to need to get heavily into modification in order to give people what they want.
Thu, Sep 10 2015 08:17am EDT 25
Michael Ferguson
Michael Ferguson
37 Posts
As you know, I am going to be creating $79 minicourses (Remediation will be a series of these). The purpose is to create an easier entry price point and hope for repeat sales. I am going to have a developmental deal that gives lifetime free registration for $300. I think I have one sale and if I get it, I will move us up to a higher level here. That will allow us to create the premium level which is P.E.N., Polymathic Institute Membership, etc. I am going to suggest that we start at $9.95 per month and increase with increases in perceived value.

To reiterate, the plan is to use Polymathica.com broadly. It will be a general social media site, premium will be like Linkedin (P.E.N.) and we will be building a tiered publication (personal blogs, The Polymath blogosphere and The Polymath Archives. In addition to the magazine I am going to suggest that P.E.N. members consider building minicourses (we will need an academic review board to assure quality).

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.